Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: A Preview

So I was walking through Borders today and saw something that inspired me to start up this blog:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

So maybe I had been forced to read Pride and Prejudice in 10th grade. Maybe I wasn't the biggest Jane Austen fan out there. But this. I had to pick it up. Curiosity would not let me put it down.

Now, I would probably have left it behind due to my small bank account, but after doing some internet-wise research in search of a review of this book (okay, maybe I am a little dubious about anything that can attach "...and zombies" to a Jane Austen masterpiece and publish it), I found out that it wasn't supposed to be released for at least three weeks. Hmm. So after some more research, it seems that there must have been some snafu with Border's release dates; I've read some comments saying that they found it in Borders and then were confused by a different release date online. Even the release dates are dubious: different sites have it as April 1st (leading some to believe it's one big fat April Fool's joke), May 13th, and June 1st. But I assure you; this is no April Fool's joke. Just a published joke. Ehem.

There appears to be a fair amount of hype over it, so I'm going to do a pre-release review of it. Wow, it's almost like having and advance copy! No, I fear it's just a release snafu. But either way, I'll read this book qiuckly so I can either quell or push forward the hype. Perhaps this release error will end soon and only a few people will actually have gotten a copy. But one of those people will be me.

I'm currently on Chapter 3, and let me say this: my initial impressions are a bit dubious. Seth Grahame-Smith hasn't really rewritten the novel so far, as much as taken the book and morphed the scenes to include zombies and such. But really, Pride and Prejudice was definitely not quite so catching without the zombies. So hopefully, the comedy will be well-placed and not just for gags. And also, I hope that some out there will pull the stick out of their ass and take the book for what it is: pure fun. Let's see how this turns out.

1 comment:

  1. I NEED TO READ THIS!!! I totally thought it was a joke when I first heard of it. I read P&P for the first time a week or so ago, and I think some zombies would augment it nicely. ZOMBIES!!!

    ReplyDelete